Thursday, July 24, 2008

Entry 5- 6/29/08


Lost my blue pen! Today I went to my first African church service. What can I say except it was truly wonderful! White and Black South Africans praising the Lord together. The people here are unlike any I have ever known. They are always smiling, they have a kindness and love for each other in such a pure and enduring way. We all got to stand in front. And we all spoke about where we came from and anything we felt in our hearts. And after, I got to come back and experience some imersion baptisms. But more joyous to me than any other moment so far has been the children. There were 8 or 9 children playing in the pool in between the baptisms. I stuck my feet in (the water is freezing! It's still winter here!) and some of the children came over to watch me write and ask me questions. Some of their names are written in the back of this book.

One was Lulama Somdaka. It's hard to tell their ages, at least from an American perspective. Lulama told me about her family, that her father had died. I didn't ask how because I didn't want to make her sad or bring up a painful topic. She was so sweet. Anytime water got splashed on me or on the pages, she would brush it off. When the wind blew my hair into my face, she would brush it out of my eyes. I watched them play in the water, beautiful brown bodies happily splashing and laughing together. I have to say, I've never met such happy beautiful people. Their whole attitude, the way they look at life and at each other, it is truly refreshing to experience. I AM BLESSED!

No comments: