Thursday, July 24, 2008

Entry 1: 6/24/08


Where to begin? My trip began over 23 hours agol, but if I really want to be truthful, then I'd say my trip started a little less than a year ago. That was I came back from Puerto Rico with Mama. It was also when I started to feel with an indescribable intensity, the pull of God on my heart to go to Africa and help in some way. I spent a few months listening and looking...until I finally found the place I knew I should be. And so here I am on a 747 in London bound for Cape Town. Just that I am here is amazing in itself. I never dreamed I'd be traveling half way across the world by myself. I had a whole day today in London. I booked a tour, jumped the subway and scouted Central London!
There is so much history here! I always knew there was, but seeing it, breathing it in...it was just the coolest experience. I especially loved the architecture. Sometimes, it seemed so medieval, other times modern with subtle touches of the past. And more bronze statues than any place I have ever been! Ancient archways, pillars, towers, sculptures...it just goes on and on. I didn't get to see the Globe Theatre (Shakespeare), but the whole city just seemed to be bursting with the spirits of the past. The churches were plentiful and some so old that the bricks were worn and crumbling. But all of that just seemed to enhance the buildings even more. It was as though each crumbling piece had its own great destiny, fulfilled in the midst of ruin.

No comments: