Thursday, July 24, 2008

Entry 2- 6/26/08


Two unsteady steps and a yawn and I'm suddenly in Africa. My first glimpse was from the plane, a magnificent sunrise splashed across the plane window. Imagine the deepest intensity of red and orange against the ragged edges of stony cliffs.
I got through customs and discovered that my baggage had actually arrived in one piece! Imagine! All the way from the states! Rachelle found me and we set off. She is young, and nice and hails from Nebraska. She has been to Africa 5 times and she seems younger than I am. By car, we raced across Cape Town, taking a route along the ocean to a town called Hout Bay. The cliffs and mountains are so amazing here-and houses are built right into the hills just off the ocean. In many ways, it does not seem like Africa yet. Rachelle says it will once we get out of the cities and more into the countryside.
We are staying at a place called the Lord's House at 2 River Valley Road. It is enclosed behind a large wall and fences and most of the hallways are open to the air. There is a vegetable garden, pool, and small yard with coarse green grass and (I think) olive trees. Other people live here and they share a kitchen. They include Wade, Gloria, Nicole, Ethel, and a few others. It is sort of like a hostel, but then, it's not. All the people here are Christians. Gloria especially touches me. She is older, lonely and has had a difficult life, but she has a sweet spirit and a love for the Lord. In a few short hours, I have learned that she was born here in South Africa ("on a riverbank"), she had a husband who left her, she basically came to the house as a homeless woman, and her daughter was murdered. She works at an animal shelter and suffers from Soriosis. She tells great stories! Also-went shopping twice today for groceries and got some Rand- $40 got me about $332 in Rand. The rest of the group should arrive around 2:30-3:30 am!

No comments: