Friday, July 25, 2008

Entry 11- 7/6/08

In Kalomo, sleeping in unfinished orphanage:

What a great day!
Started very early with a semi warm shower...or rather a splash bath since the shower head didn't work. We got ready to go to church. Justin bought a guitar for the truck and I played a little on the way to church. The church was very different from anything I have ever experienced. Great worship music and dancing. To some, it may have been inappropriate, but that is just the way they dance here. A lot of emphasis on the hips and legs. Two things happened that really scared me. But first, let me say that I truly believe these people have a sincere heart for Jesus and worship. The pastor called several members of another mission group forward. They are all Africans. There was praying out loud. Then suddenly, they were just falling to the ground, many were crying and screaming and shaking. There were like 10 or 11 people on the floor and people were praying and yelling and all sorts of things. I was really really frightened by it all. The second thing that scared me was shortly after, the pastor asked to pray for a man. Everyone was praying out loud and I was praying softly as well and suddenly, I began to pray in another language. It was scary and yet beautiful too. I'm still confused as to what this means. I've spent some time talking with several people here about my doubts about speaking in tongues. Several leaders and pastors have told me that there is a difference between the speaking in tongues (which requires an interpreter) and praying in your prayer language. Whatever I did today, I felt comfortable. It was a gentle pulling of the Spirit on my heart, intense but not so intense that I was breaking down. It just sort of swept in, washed over me like a blanket of warmth and love. I felt bad though because I talked with Courtney, DJ, and Simeon and they are clearly struggling with the tongues deal. I am too, but now I have experienced something in which God has opened a part of me. I see the doubt and sadness in their eyes and I almost feel responsible or at least sad that I have left them behind in some form. Of all the people on this trip, Courtney, DJ, Simeon and Kaley are the ones I feel most connected to spiritually. They are the ones I can see myself connecting to after the trip is over.

No comments: