Thursday, July 31, 2008

Entry 15/ 7/10/08

My last day of ministry. We traveled to a village called Nizilonga. Patrick had been telling us that this village ministry would be very different from anything we had experienced. I know now what that means. These people are very influenced by wiftcraft and spirits. One family we visited actually had 2 witch doctors there with their sick daughter. The funny thing was that we didn't really know they were witch doctors until we had been there for quite a while. I realized later that the enthusiasm and strength went right out of the group while we were there. I felt kind of hopeless at the time which we really strange. One of the men had very creepy eyes, but really they looked pretty normal. No costumes or dancing around. They had a large bundle of herbs with them. Brian said that we could pray for the girl, but that this family had given authority to the witch doctors and until they relinquished that authority, God's healing could not come through.
The other ministry group saw a demon manifest. Justin said he went to pray from a man and as soon as he touched him, the man stiffened up and his face and eyes changed and he would no longer talk to them. The spiritual world is more apparent here than anything I have ever seen.

Before all of this happened, God really worked on my heart. Pastor Malala came to pick me up to deliver the money we raised to the woman I spoke about yesterday, Silvia. We drove to Magrimondi and we ended up driving across town to pick her up from a house where she was doing laundry. On the way there, she was telling him that she can no longer squat in the brick building because the owner wants to charge rent which she can't afford. How awesome is our God? His timing and His plan are perfect. We got back to her house, the one she is building and I asked Pastor Malala to interpret my words to her. I tolder that we loved her and may God use this money for her roof and anything else she needs for her family. I didn't really know what to say at first, but God gave me words. I handed her the money, more money according to Pastor Malala, than she had probably seen in 10 years. She cried and I hugged her and after, when I was back at the orphanage, I told the team about it. Only after I told them did I really feel God pressing on my heart and I cried and cried. The team prayed over me. One of them, I'm not sure who, thanked God for breaking my heart. When Pastor Malala and I pulled away, Silvia waved and put her hand on her chest, still crying. In that moment, I felt as though I would give up everything I have to give her so much more. I keep seeing her face before me, her little baby strapped to her back, her face so sad as though there is no time to stop and smile. I hope someday I will see her smile. I hope someday I can see her again.

No comments: